Boardwalks & Pathways
In any sensitive natural landscape, the ideal boardwalk or nature viewing platform should unobtrusively blend into the existing landscape, avoid detracting from the view but invite you to enjoy and explore the distant surrounds. It should be exceptionally durable, highly impact resistant, fire resistant, provide safe and secure footing, offer maximum resistance to all weather conditions and require minimal ongoing maintenance over an extended lifespan.
Fiberglass gratings meet all the basic requirements for high traffic boardwalks, especially in more remote locations where ease of installation, exceptionally low maintenance and long lifespan are critical selection criteria.
Apart from elevated pathways over environmentally sensitive locations, fiberglass gratings are frequently used on small bridges on bike paths and hiking trails especially where the bridge may be subject to inundation at times throughout the year.
Bridges with deteriorating wood planking can often be upgraded simply by fixing fiberglass panels over the existing deck, giving the bridge a new lease of life with a superior slip resistant surface.
Compared with the more traditional materials including softwood, hardwood, steel, composite wood and precast concrete, heavy-duty FRP gratings for walkways tick all the boxes in terms of a durable, low maintenance, unobtrusive boardwalk surface.
- no rotting, twisting, warping, splintering, splitting
- no loose, dangerous nails or screws
- no rusting or corrosion
- excellent slip resistance in wet or dry conditions
- suitable for marine environments
- highly resistant to moss and mildew growth
- practically zero maintenance
- allows light to reach vegetation below
- fire resistant
- no leaching of preservative chemicals
- lightweight and easily cut in field
- can be colored to blend unobtrusively into the landscape