StreetDeck Modular DecksModular decks for parklets and curbside seating
Archatrax ‘StreetDeck’ is a modular deck system that enables you to build self-contained raised decks or parklets on sidewalks, roadways or any hard surface where you need a level, solid, stable, stand-alone exterior surface, irrespective of the slope of the substrate.
Designed for quick and easy assembly and disassembly, each deck kit includes all components needed to construct a small stand-alone parklet, avoiding expensive design, fabrication and installation costs. The basic deck kit comprises bolt together galvanized steel perimeter modules, porcelain pavers or wood tiles for the deck surface, adjustable height pedestals to support the perimeter and pavers, and all necessary brackets and hardware to assemble the modular deck.
Optional components including 4′ access ramps, planters, railings and bench seating can be added for a fully integrated design, but still enabling the creation of a customized, ‘one-of-a-kind’ structure.
While a StreetDeck can be assembled in unlimited 2’x2′ modules, the following renderings display common StreetDeck kits, complete with all optional components, in sizes appropriate to fit one and two 20′ roadside car spaces while accommodating the required 4′ safety buffer on either side :
StreetDeck was specifically designed to avoid the shortcomings of many custom designed parklets or modular deck kits.
- Uses a minimal number of modular components
- Has a strong, fully integrated perimeter
- Can be easily disassembled and reassembled multiple times without damage
- Can be assembled with unskilled labor and minimum tools
- Is readily scalable in length and width
- Includes a range of fully integrated components (planters, benches, railings and access ramps)
- Supports the installation of custom components and furniture
- Durable, stain resistant, resistant to wear and tear
- Exceptionally low maintenance
- Creates a more level deck surface irrespective of the substrate
- Avoids the need for architectural design work
- Provides ADA compliant access
- More affordable than custom designs
More Design Features
Our StreetDeck modular deck system has been designed to comply with guidelines and specifications developed by many cities for creating small public spaces (commonly known as parklets, curbside cafes, people spots, street seats, pocket parks, streateries etc.) as far as possible. However each authority generally has its own set of rules and regulations, so it’s important to check these first to confirm our StreetDeck system complies with all requirements.
Links to websites and downloadable documents detailing the planning and approval process, design considerations and other pertinent information for a number of major cities who have developed parklet programs are provided in our Resources Guide.
To download the StreetDeck Brochure, click here.
The unique modular design keeps costs of architectural services, construction drawings and concept renderings to an absolute minimum. And more importantly, it enables a typical deck to be completely built in just a few hours, not days or weeks, without specialized labor, skills or tools, heavy lifting equipment, or final painting and finishing.
Need to extend your deck? No problem. Just bolt on additional perimeter modules and lay extra pedestals and pavers. Disassembly is just as quick. Just lift off the porcelain pavers, unbolt the perimeter sections and fascia panels, remove the pedestals and stow everything away until you need to install the deck again. Since the components are so compact, StreetDeck is much easier to store and re-assemble where parklets are required to be removed over winter.
Customization? We well understand the need for parklets to have their own unique features and appeal. But we also know that designing, building and assembling a conventional framed deck parklet with perimeter containment is very expensive. And some local authorities specify the use of “special paving materials to differentiate the unique open space function (of the parklet) from the normal sidewalk or median” whilst other authorities no longer permit the use of tropical hardwoods for the deck surface. And that’s one of the key benefits of the Archatrak StreetDeck system. You can select from over 50 colors of Archatrak porcelain pavers for your deck surface including colors and styles that resemble natural wood or stone plus styles with a cement or rustic look. If required, an excellent decking option is Archatrak structural wood tiles.
Where Can Modular Decks be Used?
- Public Parklets. Also known as people spots, street seats, streateries, curbside seating or curbside cafes, parklets typically refer to the conversion of one or more street parking spaces into a small public ‘park’ by extending the sidewalk onto an adjacent raised deck with perimeter containment.
- Pocket Parks. Small, active public spaces created in the existing public right-of-way. They can be located in medians, curb extensions, or in the furnishings zone on sufficiently wide sidewalks.
- Sidewalk Café Extensions. Used to delineate an area on the sidewalk adjacent to a food outlet typically offering food and drink table service.
- Public Landscape Lounges. Combine diverse seating options with abundant landscape planters to create pleasing locations for relaxation.
- Display Stages. Temporary or permanent raised platforms, can provide a focal point for displaying products. (not recommended for automotive displays)
- Temporary Outdoor Seating. Create temporary ‘islands’ for additional tables and chairs at trade shows, exhibitions.
- Special Event Flooring. Provides rental opportunities for temporary outdoor dance floors, wedding receptions and other special events.